Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Why I Need Headphones

My trip wasn't as bad as I anticipated, but I still missed the audiobooks. I couldn't listen to so much as the radio because every time I'd turn it on, my charming mother-in-law would start trying to talk over it. *sigh* She even tried to talk to me while I was reading Object Lessons on the ride up. You can tell a person never reads when they interrupt you with questions about your book or life in general or the cure for cancer. A frequent reader-for-pleasure knows that a good book sucks you into its world, and you don't want someone screeching from the back seat sucking you back out.

Anyway, I'm home. I managed to enjoy Object Lessons. Not as much as Black and Blue, but the teeth-gritting situation might have affected my feelings about the book. The third-person omniscient point of view is something I haven't seen a lot in literary fiction. In a way, it was refreshing and different. In another way, I couldn't get as deeply inside the heads of the characters - particularly the main character, 13-year-old Maggie, whose distinct voice was diluted by all the action inside the other characters' minds.

No comments: