Friday, October 07, 2005

Southern Gothic

I've been hearing a lot of buzz about the new Karin Slaughter novel, Faithless, in the book blogging world. This was my first time to read/listen to Slaughter's work, and I found the abridged audiobook version entertaining enough to keep me awake on the commute but not remarkable.

Faithless stars Slaughter's recurring characters medical examiner Sara Linton, her ex-husband/current boyfriend police Chief Jeffrey Tolliver, and Detective Lena Adams, who’s struggling with her own inner demons. They stumble upon a murder victim who was buried alive in a wooden box in the forest near their small Georgia town.

The victim, they soon discover, was a member of a strict religious family that owns a cooperative farm. Their investigation leads them to several suspects around town, particularly at the farm, which hires down-on-their-luck folks, many with criminal backgrounds.

Because these are recurring characters, Slaughter seems to be investing in a long-term character arc. Which, for this single book, means that nothing much happens to the characters personally. Sure, they run around interviewing people and poking at dead bodies, but I didn't feel I got to know them.

in Faithless, Slaughter avoids the kind of twist ending I hate, the kind that’s so twisty it comes out of left field. But she also creates little suspense. When the killer – or is it killers? – was revealed, I had no “a-ha” moment. I had an “oh – right” moment. No emotion, no excitement.

I just didn’t care what happened at the end, and none of the characters intrigued me much. It’s fair to say I cared less about the outcome of this story than about the average episode of Law & Order: SVU.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very happy you've started this blog! I'm addicted to audiobooks myself. I'm really enjoying one now--Going Postal by Terry Pratchett. It's funny, relevant science fiction, and the narrator (whose name I can't remember; it's out in my car) has one of the best British accents I've heard, and does a million voices.

K said...

Hurray, my first commenter! Nice to see you here, Joan! :)

Anonymous said...

I win!

I saw your link on Houseblogs, and I got really excited, because I'm just lurking there, but here I can participate. And I need good recommendations for these things.

K said...

The Amazon reviews are pretty useless for audiobooks, so I figured this was a needed service! I hope so anyway ...