Friday, October 07, 2005

A Road Trip Without Audiobooks

Ingredients for an unpleasant vacation:
  • Road trip with in-laws
  • No audiobooks

    I'm going on vacation with the in-laws for four days, with a four-hour drive there and back. That's eight hours of abject misery and 88 of only moderate misery. Actually, I'll be sleeping for 24 of those hours, and I hope they will be at least neutral.

    If you can't tell, I'm not particularly looking forward to this trip. One of the reasons is that we'll be driving, but I won't be able to listen to my audiobooks because of our passengers. I'm right in the middle of A Wedding in December, and it always annoys me to interrupt a book for a few days because I can't remember what's going on when I get back to it.

    I went to the library on my lunch break today and checked out two print books - Blessings and Object Lessons, both by Anna Quindlen. I read Black and Blue recently and became an instant fan. I'm hoping her literary superhero powers will keep me from exploding all over the vehicle on this sans-audiobook, not sans-in-law vacation.

    I'm beginning to see the benefits of an iPod.
  • 1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    My heart goes out to you.