Monday, April 03, 2006

iDesire an iPod

In the past few years, I've watched the iPod infection pick off my co-workers one by one. Still, the immunity my cheapness provided me held out. $299 for a glorified walkman? I think not.

Until now. I don't know why, but last week a strong desire to own an iPod suddenly overcame me. I spent hours scouring the pages and pages of iPods for sale on eBay. I researched and compared until my eyeballs threatened to burn right out of my skull.

Gradually, I figured out what I required in an iPod. My requirements:

1. Used, preferably with songs still on it. It's like the grab bags they used to sell at the Hello Kitty store. It might be full of junk, but it might be full of treasure.

2. Fourth generation. Has the reportedly better "click wheel" for scrolling through songs and stays charged longer than previous editions, plus each generation gets a little skinnier and lighter weight. I debated long and hard whether to spring for the latest video iPod but in the end decided I'd never use the video capacity so why pay $100 more?

3. Battery still holds a good charge. iPod batteries have to be replaced by Apple, so I don't want to have to deal with that any time soon.

4. 20gb. What I really need is something in between the 4 gb and the 20gb, but that doesn't exist in a fourth-generation iPod. I considered the iPod Nano or Mini for a while (the pink iPod Mini was particularly tempting), but when I realized I'd have to pay about the same price for a 4gb as a 20gb, that settled it. Also, a 4gb holds only 1,000 songs, which sounds like a lot until you consider that's only 67 CDs with 15 songs each. I want to have room to spare, and the 5,000-song 20gb should be more than plenty.

5. Some decent accessories, like a wall charger and new earbuds. I don't want to have to buy every little thing separately.

I found several iPods on eBay that met my criteria. I agonized about which one to buy and in the end sprung for one that had a Buy It Now option. I can't stand bidding on stuff anymore. I just want it bought and done with. So I chose the Buy It Now one, though I probably could've won one at auction for a few bucks cheaper. I'm all about less hassle.

Only then the seller accidentally shipped me the wrong iPod (from another auction), so now I have to deal with returning it to sender, and I'm not sure if he's sending me my iPod now or when he receives the other one back. Arggh.

Then the m-f'ing post office wouldn't leave the iPod (whichever one it is) in my mailbox on Saturday because it was insured. Naturally, the post office opens after I leave for work and closes before I get home. So I have to deal with leaving the stupid card in the box and waiting till tomorrow or maybe even the next day to get my package re-delivered. Gah!

They leave packages on my doorstep ALL THE TIME. Like this one's suddenly gonna get stolen.

I want my iPod!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can replace iPod batteries. There are aftermarket companies that sell them, along with the tools needed to do the install, for like 30 bucks.

goddessof4 said...

I love my pink nano ipod.It took awhile for me to get one .My husband and kids all had ipods and I am so bad with gadgets so I was not interested !!My hubby bought me one for xmas and I have to say I love
it!!!! Just don't ask me how to down load anything (LOL)

tomlopy said...

You should check out the free iPod downloads from newfiction.com . They have a host of audiobooks that you can get on the iPod.